Toombs County baseball fans have long dreamed of having a facility like the one they visit each season when the Bulldogs play at Jeff Davis and softball fans have wished for a home they don’t have to share with the middle school. Meanwhile, track and field athletes have been desiring a track which they can run on that is similar to what they compete on when they travel to meets around the area and at sectionals and state. Plus the TCHS football and soccer teams would like a practice field of their own.
All that is going to be happening very soon.
Construction is underway for a new sports complex- which is located behind Toombs County High School- for all these facilities.
Toombs County baseball coach Derek James appeared on Y-101 Radio and shared the details of the new facilities. He said the new baseball field is going to have some of the same elements you see at Jeff Davis and Bacon County.
- There will be a net behind home plate and not a fence with a brick wall behind the dish.
- There will be bleachers but also plenty of room for fans to sit in their own chairs.
- Similar to Jeff Davis, there will be a 14-foot wall in the outfield.
- The dimensions of the park will be 320 feet down the lines and 350 to center field (10 feet shorter than Jacky Jones Field)
- There will be a locker room for the players.
- An indoor hitting facility for both baseball and softball.
The plans are to have the softball field ready to go for the start of the 2020 season and the baseball field will open for play in 2021;
Listen to coach Derek James on Y-101 Radio